osql to unc path
systemtek
2008-06-20 09:22:09 UTC

If i try to backup to a UNC path it fails but if i try local it works,
any idea ?

for example, this works ok :

backup database model to disk = 'C:\Backup\DailyDatabaseBackups
\live.bak'
go

this fails :

backup database model to disk = '\\myserver\DailyDatabaseBackups
\live.bak'
go

Thanks
Duncan
Andrea Montanari
2008-06-20 10:35:58 UTC
hi Duncan,
systemtek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If i try to backup to a UNC path it fails but if i try local it works,
> any idea ?
>
> for example, this works ok :
>
> backup database model to disk = 'C:\Backup\DailyDatabaseBackups
> \live.bak'
> go
>
> this fails :
>
> backup database model to disk = '\\myserver\DailyDatabaseBackups
> \live.bak'
> go

it probably fails (you did not report the exceptions you are prompted with)
becouse the account running the SQL Server service has not been granted
adeguate permissions at Share and NTFS level on the destination folder..
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz http://www.hotelsole.com
--------- remove DMO to reply
systemtek
2008-06-20 10:46:07 UTC
On Jun 20, 11:35 am, "Andrea Montanari" <***@virgilio.it>
wrote:
> hi Duncan,
>

> systemtek wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > If i try to backup to a UNC path it fails but if i try local it works,
> > any idea ?
>
> > for example, this works ok :
>
> > backup database model to disk = 'C:\Backup\DailyDatabaseBackups
> > \live.bak'
> > go
>
> > this fails :
>
> > backup database model to disk = '\\myserver\DailyDatabaseBackups
> > \live.bak'
> > go
>
> it probably fails (you did not report the exceptions you are prompted with)
> becouse the account running the SQL Server service has not been granted
> adeguate permissions at Share and NTFS level on the destination folder..
> --
> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)http://www.asql.biz       http://www.hotelsole.com
> DbaMgr2k ver 0.21.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.65.1 and further SQL Tools
> --------- remove DMO to reply- Hide quoted text -

Sorry should have said the account used does have full access to the
given share. I will re run and post the exact error.
systemtek
2008-06-23 09:22:18 UTC
On 20 Jun, 11:35, "Andrea Montanari" <***@virgilio.it>
wrote:
> hi Duncan,
>

> systemtek wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > If i try to backup to a UNC path it fails but if i try local it works,
> > any idea ?
>
> > for example, this works ok :
>
> > backup database model to disk = 'C:\Backup\DailyDatabaseBackups
> > \live.bak'
> > go
>
> > this fails :
>
> > backup database model to disk = '\\myserver\DailyDatabaseBackups
> > \live.bak'
> > go
>
> it probably fails (you did not report the exceptions you are prompted with)
> becouse the account running the SQL Server service has not been granted
> adeguate permissions at Share and NTFS level on the destination folder..
> --
> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)http://www.asql.biz       http://www.hotelsole.com
> DbaMgr2k ver 0.21.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.65.1 and further SQL Tools
> --------- remove DMO to reply- Hide quoted text -

Or are we talking about permissions for the SA acount here ? or the
user running user account ?
Andrea Montanari
2008-06-23 10:13:04 UTC
hi,
systemtek wrote:
> Or are we talking about permissions for the SA acount here ? or the
> user running user account ?

the Windows account running the SQL Server service..
regards