VC6 program can't find VS2005 SQLServer
Kenneth Porter
2008-01-11 22:22:05 UTC
I'm working with a customer app implemented with VC6 that opens a
connection to a local SQLServer instance, possibly starting the server if
necessary.

I've got both VC6 an Visual Studio 2005 loaded on my machine, so I have the
updated SQLServer. The customer app fails to connect, reporting:

"Start failed. Microsoft SQL-DMO returned error 1060: [SQL-DMO]Service
Control Error: The specified service does not exist as an installed
service."

What do I need to do to get the older app to connect to the newer database
server?
Andrea Montanari
2008-01-12 07:54:31 UTC
hi,
Post by Kenneth Porter
I'm working with a customer app implemented with VC6 that opens a
connection to a local SQLServer instance, possibly starting the
server if necessary.
I've got both VC6 an Visual Studio 2005 loaded on my machine, so I
have the updated SQLServer. The customer app fails to connect,
"Start failed. Microsoft SQL-DMO returned error 1060: [SQL-DMO]Service
Control Error: The specified service does not exist as an installed
service."
What do I need to do to get the older app to connect to the newer
database server?
actually this is not a "good" design as manipulating services state requires
privileged permissions (starting/stopping/..)
anyway, the very first obvious check is the connection string... is the
provided instance name correct? :)
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz http://italy.mvps.org
--------- remove DMO to reply
Kenneth Porter
2008-01-18 05:20:40 UTC
Post by Andrea Montanari
actually this is not a "good" design as manipulating services state
requires privileged permissions (starting/stopping/..)
It's an embedded system on dedicated hardware inside industrial equipment.
It "owns" the machine.
Post by Andrea Montanari
anyway, the very first obvious check is the connection string... is
the provided instance name correct? :)
Ok, I think I found where that gets set up.

Is there a utility within VS2005 that lets me inspect the bundled server to
verify that it has the desired initial DB and user? (I'm used to phpMyAdmin
for admin'ing web DB's.)
Andrea Montanari
2008-01-18 11:54:51 UTC
hi Kenneth,
Post by Kenneth Porter
Post by Andrea Montanari
anyway, the very first obvious check is the connection string... is
the provided instance name correct? :)
Ok, I think I found where that gets set up.
Is there a utility within VS2005 that lets me inspect the bundled
server to verify that it has the desired initial DB and user? (I'm
used to phpMyAdmin for admin'ing web DB's.)
you can have a look at SMO object model, a managed component for .Net, which
lets you perform administrative tasks with SQL Server.. you can list
available SQL Server instances and manage them, if required.. for database
listing, you just can query sys.databases catalog view to see if your
desired one(s) is/are there..
regards
--------- remove DMO to reply
Kenneth Porter
2008-01-19 23:26:22 UTC
Post by Andrea Montanari
Post by Kenneth Porter
Is there a utility within VS2005 that lets me inspect the bundled
server to verify that it has the desired initial DB and user? (I'm
used to phpMyAdmin for admin'ing web DB's.)
you can have a look at SMO object model, a managed component for .Net,
which lets you perform administrative tasks with SQL Server.. you can
list available SQL Server instances and manage them, if required.. for
database listing, you just can query sys.databases catalog view to see
if your desired one(s) is/are there..
I also found Management Studio Express Edition and Web Data Administrator.
Now I need to figure out how to get those talking to the server instance I
can see running with the Services snap-in. The web one wouldn't connect
with either the sa account or the local machine's administrator account, so
I'm hoping MSEE will do it. Otherwise I'll try uninstalling and
reinstalling SQL Server.