MSDE 2000 and SQL Server Express 2005 on the same PC
JacquesT
2008-11-13 22:35:49 UTC
Hi All,

We have Windows XP Sp2 desktops running an application that uses MSDE 2000
(version 8.00.761). If I install another application running MS SQL Server
Express 2005 and it will then the application running MSDE 2000 stops
working. So I install again MSDE 2000 then the application running SQL
Server Express 2005 stops working.

Is there a way to have the two working at the same time ?

Regards,
Lawrence Garvin
2008-11-14 15:35:14 UTC
Post by JacquesT
Hi All,
We have Windows XP Sp2 desktops running an application that uses MSDE 2000
(version 8.00.761). If I install another application running MS SQL Server
Express 2005 and it will then the application running MSDE 2000 stops
working. So I install again MSDE 2000 then the application running SQL
Server Express 2005 stops working.
Is there a way to have the two working at the same time ?
I can't imagine any scenario in which you couldn't have both working
simultaneously!

Perhaps you could share some additional detail on what steps you performed
when you installed these applications (including what the applications are).
Chris.Cheney
2008-11-14 16:49:32 UTC
Post by JacquesT
Hi All,
We have Windows XP Sp2 desktops running an application that uses MSDE
2000 (version 8.00.761). If I install another application running MS
SQL Server Express 2005 and it will then the application running MSDE
2000 stops working. So I install again MSDE 2000 then the application
running SQL Server Express 2005 stops working.
Is there a way to have the two working at the same time ?
Regards,
I have MSDE 2000 and SQL Server Express 2005 running together on the same
XP SP3 desktop.

What you need to know is that they must have different instance names. You
can have the default for one but the other must have a non-default instance
name. Of course, the applications need to know the instance name of the
server that they are to access.

HTH
Lawrence Garvin
2008-11-15 03:44:59 UTC
Post by Chris.Cheney
Post by JacquesT
Hi All,
We have Windows XP Sp2 desktops running an application that uses MSDE
2000 (version 8.00.761). If I install another application running MS
SQL Server Express 2005 and it will then the application running MSDE
2000 stops working. So I install again MSDE 2000 then the application
running SQL Server Express 2005 stops working.
Is there a way to have the two working at the same time ?
Regards,
I have MSDE 2000 and SQL Server Express 2005 running together on the same
XP SP3 desktop.
What you need to know is that they must have different instance names. You
can have the default for one but the other must have a non-default instance
name. Of course, the applications need to know the instance name of the
server that they are to access.
Even this should be a non-issue as a default installation of SQL Server
Express Edition will auto-install to the named instance 'SQLEXPRESS', which
I doubt any MSDE2000 was visionary enough to have considered.

Even if the MSDE2000 was installed as a 'default' instance (and I'm not sure
it can be, or that any application would have done that), it would require
an explicit attempt to install the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on the
default instance, and if that were being done, it would actually *upgrade*
the MSDE2000 installation (or abort)...

So, having been through all of that, I'm still trying to reconcile "... the
application .. stops working.."
JacquesT
2008-11-17 19:46:32 UTC
Hello,

So they should work together without any problems. It seems to me that it's
the same as if you had two MSDE 2000 instances installed on the same
computer. As long as instance names are different they will work together on
the same box.

Thanks guys!!
Lawrence Garvin
JacquesT