UPGRADE FROM SP3a TO SP4 ERROR
Carlos Pastor
2008-02-12 14:04:20 UTC
Hello,

I need to upgrade a MSDE from SP3a to SP4 but I can't. The server is a
W2003Standard SP2.

I notice that the install log has several return values 3 wich means
problems:

"MsiEvaluateCondition for VersionNT returned TRUE
End Function MyMsiEvaluateCondition
An error was encountered during connection to server: 1
Ending custom action UpgDetectBlankSaLogin().
Action ended 14:04:51:
UpgDetectBlankSaLogin.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B. Return value 3."

I search in the log file the value 3 and I see too one link to support
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=830477, but this link hasn't relation for
the error of above "UpgDetectBlankSaLogin".

Solutions?

Regards,
Carlos Pastor
Andrea Montanari
2008-02-13 09:26:06 UTC
hi Carlos,
Post by Carlos Pastor
Hello,
I need to upgrade a MSDE from SP3a to SP4 but I can't. The server is a
W2003Standard SP2.
I notice that the install log has several return values 3 wich means
"MsiEvaluateCondition for VersionNT returned TRUE
End Function MyMsiEvaluateCondition
An error was encountered during connection to server: 1
Ending custom action UpgDetectBlankSaLogin().
UpgDetectBlankSaLogin.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B. Return value 3."
you should provide the additional parameter
SAPWD=the_password
to your call to the MSDE boostrap installer..
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz http://italy.mvps.org
--------- remove DMO to reply
Carlos Pastor
2008-02-13 13:00:30 UTC
Hi Andrea,

The instaler has deleted the user "sa" fro the table "model" and from my
table.

The user "sa" has a password that I has put, but I can't connect with this
MSDE SQL how sa from SQL administrator , I need to connect how Windows
autentication. The sa user is broked. I have an aplication that can change
the password of sa, and I do this cange and the result is correct, but I
can't connect how sa.

If I desinstall the MSDE and I install sp4 from cleaner is not problem, but
I lose my table and my data.

The sentence to upgrade this MSDE is this:

setup /upgradesp sqlrun SECURITYMODE=SQL UPGRADEUSER=sa UPGRADEPWD=(MY
PASSWORD) /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

This is correct?

Regards,
Carlos Pastor
Post by Andrea Montanari
hi Carlos,
--------- remove DMO to reply
Andrea Montanari
2008-02-13 16:29:35 UTC
hi Carlos,
Post by Carlos Pastor
Hi Andrea,
The instaler has deleted the user "sa" fro the table "model" and from
my table.
this can not be true :)
probably your MSDE instance has not been set to allow standard SQL Server
authenticated connections, which requires "mixed mode", but trusted WinNT
authenticated connections only..
you can modify that via the SECURITYMODE=SQL parameter as you already did..
Post by Carlos Pastor
The user "sa" has a password that I has put, but I can't connect with
this MSDE SQL how sa from SQL administrator , I need to connect how
Windows autentication. The sa user is broked. I have an aplication
that can change the password of sa, and I do this cange and the
result is correct, but I can't connect how sa.
If I desinstall the MSDE and I install sp4 from cleaner is not
problem, but I lose my table and my data.
setup /upgradesp sqlrun SECURITYMODE=SQL UPGRADEUSER=sa UPGRADEPWD=(MY
PASSWORD) /L*v C:\MSDELog.log
try using
setup /upgradesp sqlrun SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=some_password UPGRADEUSER=sa
--------- remove DMO to reply
Carlos Pastor
2008-02-14 07:31:55 UTC
Hi Andrea,

Sorry, does not work, I'm desperate.

Not that most do.

Thank you for your help and for your time.

Regards,
Carlos Pastor
Post by Andrea Montanari
hi Carlos,
--------- remove DMO to reply
Blake
2008-04-14 20:00:32 UTC
This worked for me:

setup /upgradesp sqlrun sapwd=mypassword securitymode=sql

From:
http://www.webapper.net/index.cfm/2006/10/19/Upgrading-MSDE-RTM-to-SP4
Post by Carlos Pastor
Hi Andrea,
Sorry, does not work, I'm desperate.
Not that most do.
Thank you for your help and for your time.
Regards,
Carlos Pastor
Post by Andrea Montanari
hi Carlos,