MSDE and Windows 2003
MCSE
2008-10-11 01:55:56 UTC
Hello there,

I am trying to install MSDE on a Windows 2003 server and after I extracted
the file in the default path, C:MSDEReIA, I ran the setup.exe file.
I get the following message: A strong SA password is required for security
reasons. Please, use SAPWD switch to supply the same. Setup will now exit.

Any help will be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Andrea Montanari
2008-10-11 09:43:37 UTC
hi,
Post by MCSE
Hello there,
I am trying to install MSDE on a Windows 2003 server and after I
extracted the file in the default path, C:MSDEReIA, I ran the
setup.exe file. I get the following message: A strong SA password is
required for
security reasons. Please, use SAPWD switch to supply the same. Setup
will now exit.
please provide the additional
SAPWD=yourStrongPassword
parameter to the command line call (or add it to the consumed ini file) like
c:\MSDERelA>setup.exe params.... SAPWD=YourStrongPassword ...params .. /L*v
"c:\MSDELog.txt"

the additional /L*v "c:\MSDELog.txt" parameter will enable inastallation
verbose logging, resulting in a text file of about 2mb (for a succesful
installation) you can eventually inspect in case of problem searching for
RETURN VALUE 3
entries, indicating the origin of the problem..
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz http://www.hotelsole.com