SQL 2005 Embedded and Moving Sharepoint Services Database
Watt, Bobby
2007-08-19 15:05:11 UTC
I have a SQL 2005 Embedded database that was created by SharePoint Services.
It's ldf file has grown to almost 3 gig, and I need to move it off the C
drive. I have successfully moved some of the other databases using the OSQL
command, but when I try to move this one particular database I keep getting
a syntax error. I've checked and rechecked the file name and I'm typing it
in right. It's the Sharepoint_Config database.

SharePoint_Config_0e211848-1a2a-47d8-a407-ec9839afe12b.mdf

The error states Incorrect Syntax near '-'.

Couple of questions.

How can I connect to this database using the SQL 2005 Management Studio? I'm
connecting to CYAN\MICROSOFT##SSEE and using Windows Authentication.

This is the error I get.

Cannot connect to CYAN\MICROSOFT##SSEE.

===================================

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jonathan Psaila-Depasquale
2007-08-19 17:01:34 UTC

Why are you moving the log file off the C drive? If you're moving it
because it has grown too large and you're running out of space then you're
going about things the wrong way. That file will keep growing if you're
running your database in FULL or BULK_LOGGED recovery mode and eventually no
matter where you place it you'll keep running out of space. What you need
to do is to (regularly) run a backup of the log then shrink the file to a
size that make sense for your environment (something that avoids a lot of
growth operations). So if you connect via osql run something as follows:

backup log mydb
to disk = 'c:\mybackuppath\mybackupfile.bak'
go

use mydb
go

dbcc shrinkfile (mylargelogfile, 500)

Jonathan
Watt, Bobby
2007-08-19 20:24:48 UTC
Ok, That makes total sense. But here is the problem. I'm getting that syntax
error again with this database. Below is the command I ran, with the name of
the database. For some reason it doesn't like the dashes in the database
name.

Any ideas?

C:\>cd program files

C:\Program Files>cd microsoft sql server

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server>cd 90

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90>cd tools

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools>cd binn

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn>sqlcmd -S
\\.\pipe\mssql$mic
rosoft##ssee\sql\query -E
1> backup log SharePoint_Config_0e211848-1a2a-47d8-a407-ec9839afe12b_log
2> to disk = 'd:\mybackup.bak'
3> Go
Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Server CYAN\MICROSOFT##SSEE, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near '-'.
1>
Hi,
2007-08-20 11:44:38 UTC
Yes, this is going to happen because the SharePoint setup created a database
with "illegal" characters in its name, in your case the hyphen. What you
need to do is to put the name of your database within square brackets as
follows whenever using it in a T-SQL command:

[SharePoint_Config_0e211848-1a2a-47d8-a407-ec9839afe12b_log]

For future reference on what constitutes a "legal" name read through this
article - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa224033(SQL.80).aspx.

Hope this solves the problem.

Jonathan
Watt, Bobby
Leo Mattern
2008-12-30 20:18:43 UTC
Jonathan, one year and a half later, this is still the ticket for the hyphen problem. Thanks for sharing the knowledge and Happy New Year 2009.

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/107_2007_8_0_0_1008133/SQL-2005-Embedded-and-Moving-Sharepoint-Services-Database.ht

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Group
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/