.MDF file convert/attach to SQL 2000 Server
Francisco
2008-04-16 17:15:02 UTC
We have an application server that has a local database, using MSDE (.mdf).
We would like to point this database to our SQL 2000 server, which was
suggested by the techs ... curious to know if its possible to grab the .mdf
file from the application server and import it into our SQL 2000 server
server, or does the .mdf file need to be converted in anyway for the SQL
server to recognize it. Hopefully I made sense, I'm not a SQL person at all.
Andrea Montanari
2008-04-16 19:06:59 UTC
hi Francisco,
Post by Francisco
We have an application server that has a local database, using MSDE
(.mdf). We would like to point this database to our SQL 2000 server,
which was suggested by the techs ... curious to know if its possible
to grab the .mdf file from the application server and import it into
our SQL 2000 server server, or does the .mdf file need to be
converted in anyway for the SQL server to recognize it. Hopefully I
made sense, I'm not a SQL person at all.
it make sense.. :)
as long as you can configure the application server to point to the
alternate SQL Server 2000 server, you can do that..
as regard the database, you can detach the database from the MSDE instance
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa933267(SQL.80).aspx), copy the
mdf and ldf (transaction log file) to the SQL Server 2000 server, and there
attach the database to that instance
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa259611(SQL.80).aspx)..
you will probably have to deal with orphaned users in this migration step
(http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administering/fixingbrokenlogins/193/)
regards
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz http://italy.mvps.org