2 msde without update interference
Sebastien
2008-05-29 18:02:03 UTC
I am trying to install a second sql on the main computer, everything works
fine till I upload an update to it. Is there a way to make it work properly?
Andrea Montanari
2008-05-30 10:24:53 UTC
hi,
Post by Sebastien
I am trying to install a second sql on the main computer, everything
works fine till I upload an update to it. Is there a way to make it
work properly?
teoretically, up to 16 MSDE instances (at different service pack level as
well) can be installed on the same machine.. and I can confirm (not about 16
instances, but 5) it works as expected..
what do you mean by "it works fine till I upload an update to it"?
if you mean "update data", the obvious question is if you correctly provided
the instance name at connection time.. as you already know only 1 instance
of them can be the default instance, that can be referred as "(Local)" or
"ComputerName", depending on the client "position"... your second instace
will be a named instance, and it's full name is "(Local)\InstanceName" or
"ComputerName\InstanceName" (again, depending on the client "position")..
the InstanceName is te name you provided at install time and can be
verified, for instance, in the Services applet..
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz http://www.hotelsole.com