Unable to connect with "sa"
OxygeN
2007-10-17 06:31:43 UTC
Hello there,
got my Windows 2003 SBS installed with its "native" MSDE. There I see
two different instances: SBSMonitoring and another one which is related
to an other software app. Now I have to install a third software which
has to rely on an MSDE or SQL database. As I already have MSDE, I
thought to connect to it and let the installer create its database in
it. The problem is, with the account "sa" without password (blank) I
can't get connected to SERVERNAME, although I get connected to
SERVERNAME\SBSMonitoring ... what's wrong? Where am I failing?

Thanks...
Andrea Montanari
2007-10-17 10:12:53 UTC
hi,
Post by OxygeN
Hello there,
got my Windows 2003 SBS installed with its "native" MSDE. There I see
two different instances: SBSMonitoring and another one which is
related to an other software app. Now I have to install a third
software which has to rely on an MSDE or SQL database. As I already
have MSDE, I thought to connect to it and let the installer create
its database in it. The problem is, with the account "sa" without
password (blank) I can't get connected to SERVERNAME, although I get
connected to SERVERNAME\SBSMonitoring ... what's wrong? Where am I
failing?
MSDE installs by default dsabling standard SQL Server authenticated
connections.. this can be corrected both at install time and later, "at
runtime" as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285097

as regard the "sa" problem.. you mean the sa login you are trying to use has
a blank password and you can not get connected?
what is the exception you are reported with?
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz http://italy.mvps.org
--------- remove DMO to reply
Andrea Montanari