MSDE installation hangs up
s***@softtools.com
2006-02-09 22:48:51 UTC
Hello,

I am having problems with an installation of MSDE. The computer alraedy has
an instance of MSDE installed with Outlook for the Contact Manager and I
have no problems with that instance. A new application I have installed also
uses an instance of MSDE for a database. During the installation of this
application (Sony Media Manager) the MSDE installation hangs up an dnever
completes. The only way out is to use task manager.

Examining the log file it appears to be sqlredis.exe that is hanging. I have
searched the web and MS knowledge-bases and found nothing that fixes this
problem. We really need this element of the application to work so that we
can efficiently access our media database. Any advice on how to proceed
would be much appreciated.

Sid.
Andrea Montanari
2006-02-10 15:09:44 UTC
hi Sid,
Post by s***@softtools.com
Hello,
I am having problems with an installation of MSDE. The computer
alraedy has an instance of MSDE installed with Outlook for the
Contact Manager and I have no problems with that instance. A new
application I have installed also uses an instance of MSDE for a
database. During the installation of this application (Sony Media
Manager) the MSDE installation hangs up an dnever completes. The only
way out is to use task manager.
Examining the log file it appears to be sqlredis.exe that is hanging.
I have searched the web and MS knowledge-bases and found nothing that
fixes this problem. We really need this element of the application to
work so that we can efficiently access our media database. Any advice
on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
setupre.exe installs/checks MDAC stack on the installed machine...
there's a dirty trick to solve this... when the installation hangs, via Task
Manager kill the setupre.exe process and the setup will proceed and complete
successfully..
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm http://italy.mvps.org
--------- remove DMO to reply
s***@softtools.com

--------- remove DMO to reply
Andrea Montanari
2006-02-10 17:14:50 UTC
hi Sid,
Post by s***@softtools.com
Thank you for the suggestion, however, when I try to kill setupre.exe
I get an error the access is denied.
unfortunately this is the only dirty (and not supported) workaround I'm
aware of... and usually it succedes..
--------- remove DMO to reply
s***@softtools.com
2006-02-10 17:31:30 UTC
I tried one more thing, I uninstalled my Norton AV and your trick then
allowed the MSDE to continue. However, the installer reported an "unknown
error" after I killed the exe and the application is still unable to access
the database.

Any other suggestions please?
Sid.
Post by Andrea Montanari
hi Sid,
--------- remove DMO to reply
Andrea Montanari
2006-02-10 19:42:50 UTC
hi Sid,
Post by s***@softtools.com
I tried one more thing, I uninstalled my Norton AV and your trick then
allowed the MSDE to continue. However, the installer reported an
"unknown error" after I killed the exe and the application is still
unable to access the database.
Any other suggestions please?
Sid.
actually not :(
BTW, it 's usually recommended to define exceptions in the the AV programs
for "*.Mdf" , "*.Ndf" and "*.Ldf", but this is another story...
--------- remove DMO to reply
Alistair Imrie
2006-03-08 22:05:25 UTC
The dirty trick that Andrea describes is certainly a good workaround.
However, the root cause may be described in Microsoft’s Knowledge Base
article 841061:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841061
They suggest there that your bootstrap program may be causing the hang by
not responding to a synchronous message broadcast to all top level windows.
If that doesn’t apply, you may be in the situation I’ve just solved, after
several hours’ detective work! :-) I discovered another application on the
machine was causing the hang. In this case, it was “Citi Virtual Account
Numbers” made by Orbiscom, distributed by CitiBank. I’m sure there are other
possible culprits. My guess is that this program is not responding to the
synchronous message broadcast to all top level windows. It has an icon in the
tray at the bottom right.
Perhaps Microsoft could comment on why setupre.exe needs to broadcast
synchronous messages, seeing as it’s the real cause of this hassle.
Sid.
Greg
2008-05-12 08:53:36 UTC
Thanks a million. This worked a terat. I would have had to back my SP
install out and hang my head in confusion.

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/11491144.aspx