cannot backup SQL
James Landon
2008-05-06 14:23:10 UTC
I'm having trouble backing up SQL data using Microsoft SQL Server Management
Studio Express. When I try backing up to the destination I get the error
message: "Property backupdirectory is not availabe for Settings
'Microsoft.SQLServer.Management.Smo.Settings' This property may not exist
for this object, or may not be retrievable due to inssuficient access
rights."

Can anyone provide a explaination for this?

Thanks
James
Andrea Montanari
2008-05-06 15:47:25 UTC
Hi James,
Post by James Landon
I'm having trouble backing up SQL data using Microsoft SQL Server
Management Studio Express. When I try backing up to the destination I
get the error message: "Property backupdirectory is not availabe for
Settings 'Microsoft.SQLServer.Management.Smo.Settings' This property
may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to
inssuficient access rights."
Can anyone provide a explaination for this?
for some reasons I do not know, a registry value resolving this setting is
sometime not written..
All you have to do is add a string value to the registry pointing to the
default backup directory for the given SQL Instance.

you have to resolve the "name" of the instance in order to manually "hack"
the windows registry..
if you installed only 1 instance of SQL Server, it usually defaults to
MSSQL.1, but the number can change and includes other services like
Reporting Services and Analysis Services, so MSSQL.1 can be 2, 3 or other,
so please check that MSSQL.X value and, obviously, provide the correct path
for it..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer
"BackupDirectory"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup"
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz http://www.hotelsole.com