how to purge database
ginger8990
2008-05-16 20:51:04 UTC
I am not so familiar with sql server. I would like to know how to purge
database? How to truncate database.

Do we need to do some database maintenance if the databse grows to 33gb?

thanks!
William Vaughn [MVP]
2008-05-16 23:35:05 UTC
Ah, SQL Server manages the space allocated to a database based on the amount
of data you're storing and the size of the log file(s). When you delete
data, the space is reclaimed for use but not deleted unless you request
"autoshrink" in which case the pages are discarded. The log must also be
managed separately with periodic backups and truncations. I suggest you
check out "BACKUP DATABASE" in books online for more information.
William R. Vaughn
President and Founder Beta V Corporation
Author, Mentor, Dad, Grandpa
Microsoft MVP
(425) 556-9205 (Pacific time)
Hitchhiker’s Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server (7th Edition)